Ocean City, working directly with Avalon, Sea Isle City and Stone Harbor, developed and submitted a FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) application for the elevation of residential properties in the NFIP Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). These four communities were selected by New Jersey Office of Emergency Management (NJOEM) due to their Class 5 or greater standing in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS) program. The HMGP program provides 75% funding for eligible elevation projects. Click here for further information on the HMGP program. As of June 26, 2017, the application is under FEMA review.
For those that participated in the grant process, an email was distributed to indicated whether your property was included in the application. Please click here to view the property information spreadsheet which provides this information.to view the property information spreadsheet which provides this information.
Pending successful review, we anticipate further information on an award will be issued in late 2017/early 2018, which would lead to homeowners being able to start work in the spring of 2018. Homeowners may start work once authorized by the municipalities. Work started prior to FEMA review and approval is ineligible for funding.
Property owners need to be aware of the following conditions associated with this grant program:
- This is a reimbursement program, thus property owners will be responsible for covering costs and then applying for reimbursement once the project is completed. The County is currently working with several local lending institutions that may be able to provide “bridge loans” for mitigation projects.
- All property owners will be responsible for the 25% “local share” of their mitigation project.
- Properties mitigated using Federal mitigation grant funding are required to maintain NFIP flood insurance on the property in perpetuity. This flood insurance requirement becomes part of the property deed.
Please continue to visit this site to obtain updated information on this offering.
- Participating Property Owners - Please click here to view the property owner information tracking spreadsheet that will be updated continually.
- Click here for a copy of the presentation given at these meetings.
Property owners who wish to participate in this program are required to provide the following documents by April 10, 2017 (note: Elevation Cost Estimate deadline has been extended to April 17, 2017):
* The names and signatures of ALL owners on the current property deed required on this form.